Ever since their debut in 2007, the GS models of the F series have stood for premium riding enjoyment with typical ‘Made by BMW Motorrad’ features, representing the middle-class Adventure segment. As before, the GS abbreviation again represents a perfect synthesis of touring and long-distance capability combined with sporty dynamics and supreme offroad performance.
In short: A BMW GS is the perfect companion when it comes to discovering remote corners of the world by motorcycle. After around ten years of consistent model development, BMW Motorrad has now fully redesigned and reengineered its middle-class GS models in line with its objective of creating an ultimate riding machine that is even more uncomplicated and carefree, whether used for sport-oriented road riding, on tour complete with luggage and a passenger, or on an adventure trip into offroad terrain.
Even more so than their predecessor models, the new F 750 GS and F 850 GS are targeted squarely at their respective clientele. The F 750 GS is designed for all riders who prefer the sensation and conceptual design of a travel enduro in combination with a low seat height, copious power availability, high cost-effectiveness, and powerful all-round qualities. Opposite this is the new F 850 GS, which besides offering more power and torque, features even more distinctive touring characteristics coupled with supreme offroad ability.
Powerful, new two-cylinder in-line engine with two counterbalance shafts and a firing interval of 270/450 degrees for optimised smoothness and emotional sound.
The main development focus was to create an increase in both power and torque. In addition, special attention was given to reducing fuel consumption levels. Displacement is 853 cc and the power output of 57 kW at 7500 rpm generated by the F 750 GS is more than sufficient. The new F 850 GS generates 70 kW at 8250 rpm which translates to a supreme level of engine power.
The developers achieved a powerful and emotionally appealing sound by employing a crankshaft with a 90 degree journal offset and a 270/450 degree firing interval. Unwanted vibrations are absorbed by the new engine’s two counterbalance shafts. A self-amplifying, anti-hopping clutch provides a discernible reduction in the hand clutch operating force while the drop in engine drag torque also enhances safety on the road. Power transmission to the rear wheel comes from the 6-speed gearbox with secondary drive that is now positioned on the left-hand side.
Highlights of the new BMW F 750 GS and F 850 GS:
• Powerful two-cylinder in-line engine with a displacement of 853 cc.
F 750 GS: 57 kW at 7500 rpm and 83 Nm at 6000 rpm.
F 850 GS: 70 kW at 8250 rpm and 92 Nm at 6250 rpm.
• Extremely powerful and emotional sound, produced by a crankshaft journal offset of 90 degrees and firing interval of 270/450 degrees.
• New, robust steel bridge frame in monocoque construction for increased riding precision.
• New telescopic fork/upside-down telescopic fork plus double-sided aluminium swinging arm with central spring strut for more sensitive response characteristics.
• ABS, ASC plus ‘Rain’ and ‘Road’ riding modes included as standard.
• Pro riding modes with ABS Pro and dynamic brake light, DTC and the new riding modes ‘Dynamic’, ‘Enduro’ and ‘Enduro Pro’ (the latter only with the F 850 GS) available as optional equipment ex works.
• ESA electronic suspension adjustment available as optional equipment.
• A self-amplifying, anti-hopping clutch for a discernible reduction in hand clutch operating force.
• LED headlight (low and high beam) as standard. LED daytime riding light as optional equipment.
• Connectivity with multi-functional instrument cluster and 6.5 inch fullcolour
TFT display plus numerous features as optional equipment.
• Intelligent emergency call function now offered for the first time as optional equipment for the middle class.
• Optimised offroad and travel ability plus improved wind and weather protection.
• Sharper GS profile resulting from new design.
• New colour concepts and style variations Rallye and Exclusive.
• A range of optional equipment and original BMW Motorrad accessories that is unique in the middle class, such as Keyless Ride, Gear shift assistant Pro, Dynamic ESA, Connectivity etc.